Ep. 26: Eff Your Fitspo- Sarah Vance
Sarah Vance (@sarevance) began focusing on the body when she began walking in her parents' footsteps by competitively body-building. After spiraling with restriction, disordered eating and body dysmorphia, she decided she needed to realign her relationship with her body. She created #effyourfitspo and challenges ideas of "health" and "strength" that are simply diet culture with a new name. Now, as a health care professional, she keeps a vigilant eye out for fat-phobia in the health care industry. We covered a lot of ground, but there's always room to share more and ask more. Take a listen and join the conversation with us on instagram!
"[Body positivity is] becoming more problematic because now fitspo culture and diet companies and diet culture are now co-opting body positivity... then you have a system in a culture that has now utilized something that was in the first place-- body positivity-- that was actually trying to dismantle the system that is now using it."
- Sarah Vance
This Week on the Every Body Podcast:
- Sarah's first exposure to body consciousness with her body-building family.
- The internalization of body dysmorphia as our bodies naturally change with age and experience.
- How ideas of health are tainted with fat-phobia.
- Sarah's experience with restriction and dieting beginning with her decision to hire a "fitness coach" for competitive body building.
- A look at diet culture in "healthism" and fitspo culture.
- The ways increased exposure to social media amplifies fitspo culture.
- How "fitspo" started as a reaction to "thinspo," but still propels diet culture.
- Sarah's #effyourfitspo passion and realigning our priorities toward respecting our bodies.
- How Sarah began identifying as a "health nut" and the challenges with letting that go and rediscovering her relationship with her body.
- The sneaky layers behind diet culture that Sarah had to work through to overcome her disordered eating.
- How Sarah became and advocate for body positivity.
- The steps Sarah took to step away from her superficial body obsession.
- What it's like being in the health care industry as an advocate for HAES.
- The merits of asking "why" to challenge peoples' biases and stigmas.
- Our westernized relationship with death and how that feeds into the flawed health and wellness industry.
- Sarah's website: www.sarahvance.com
- Sarah's podcast "Reclaiming You": www.sarahvance.com/category/reclaiming-you-podcast-sarah-vance
- Sarah's instagram: @SareVance
Rate & Share
Thank you for joining me this week on the Every Body podcast. If you enjoyed this week’s episode, head over to iTunes , subscribe to the show and leave a review to help us grow the podcast. Don’t forget to visit our website , follow us on Facebook , Twitter, and Instagram so you never miss an episode!