EP 03: Lose Hate Not Weight with Virgie Tovar
Virgie Tovar is a fierce fashionista, feminist, and fat activist. She is an expert on fat discrimination and body image, and has a Master’s in Human Sexuality with a specific focus on body size, race, and gender. She is also a writer and the founder of BabeCamp, a course designed to help people “break up” with the
Virgie joins me today to share her story of dealing with fat discrimination and body image issues. She explains how she has had to cope with body image problems and fat discrimination from people all her life – even as young as five years old. She shares how the discrimination of others, especially from boys, had started her journey and experimentation with starvation dieting, which later lead to scurvy.
Virgie also shares her turning points – when she began to accept her body for what it is and accept herself for who she is, and the transformation that came from this acceptance process. She shares her thoughts and insight on why today’s society discriminates against fat people.
This Week on the Every Body Podcast:
- Childhood emotional abuse vs bullying
- How her childhood and early adulthood experiences fueled her passion as a writer and fat
- Her experience with starvation dieting and scurvy
- Breaking through fat phobia
- Her experience with fat activism
- Political statements through fashion
- Fat phobia and fat discrimination as a means of oppression
- The socially constructed standards and fat-negative attitudes of people in the United States vs
- How fat phobia affects men and their idea of masculinity
- How social media has changed fat discrimination and the diet culture – for better and for worse
- Debunking dieting and health myths
- Having “health goals” that are divorced from weight-loss goals
- What’s on the horizon for Virgie Tovar
Virgie Tovar’s Words of Wisdom:
Connect with Virgie Tovar:
RATE, SHARE & INSPIRE OTHERS TO LOVE EVERY BODY
Thank you for joining me this week on the Every Body podcast. If you enjoyed this week’s episode, head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave a review to help us spread the word to Every Body!