Ep 01: National Eating Disorders Awareness - Claire Mysko Interview
Claire Mysko is an internationally recognized leader in eating disorders advocacy and education.
She is the author of Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat? The Essential Guide to Loving Your Body Before and After Baby and You’re Amazing! A No-Pressure Guide to Being Your Best Self, which received an Amelia Bloomer Award for outstanding feminist books for young readers.
Claire has appeared as an expert on 20/20, Good Morning America, CNN, and in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Glamour, and Teen Vogue among others. She currently serves as Chief Executive Officer of the National Eating Disorders Association.
EB001 National Eating Disorders Awareness with Claire Mysko
This week is National Eating Disorders Awareness week. In the United States, about 30-million people suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their lives. Of that number,it is estimated that 10-million are men, and 20-million are women.
My featured guest this week is Claire Mysko. Claire serves as the CEO of the National Eating Disorders Association. She is internationally recognized as a leader in eating disorder advocacy and education and she joins me to share her personal story of overcoming an eating disorder, why she is so passionate about educating the public and debunking the myths and misconceptions of these disorders, and how her personal journey has led to her passionate career in educating and advocating on this epidemic.
This Week on the Every Body Podcast:
- Research surrounding early intervention success rate for people with eating disorders.
- The rock-bottom turning point for Claire in her journey to overcome an eating disorder.
- How activism has played a role in her recovery.
- The Supergirl Dilemma study, its focus, and the unsurprising results.
- The intense focus on obesity prevention and its effects on eating disorders in children.
- The myths, misconceptions, and false images of eating disorders and their cultural effects
- The difference between an eating disorder and disordered eating.
- The mental mindset shift recovering women experience during and after pregnancy.
- What National Eating Disorders Awareness Week means and its mission.
Connect with the National Eating Disorders Association:
- NEDA Helpline:(toll-free) 1-800-931-2237
- Screening: NEDA Eating Disorder Screening Tool
- Advocacy: NEDA Advocacy Program
- Prevention: The Body Project
- You’re Amazing book by Claire Mysko
- Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat? Book by Claire Mysko and Magali Amadei
Connect with Claire Mysko
RATE, SHARE & INSPIRE OTHERS TO LOVE EVERY BODY
Thank you for joining me this week on the Every Body podcast. If you enjoyed this week’s episode, head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave a review to help us spread the word to Every Body!